Book here with a local - we know all the best spots...

Ardrossan-MuseumARDROSSAN MUSEUM

Ardrossan is the location of Clarence Smith's factory where he manufactured the ingenious stump jump plough, invented by Richard Smith in 1870, between 1880 and 1935. One of the old buildings now provides an ideal home for the Museum.

The creativeness of early settlers was evident with the invention of the plough, which revolutionised the method of cultivating virgin land without having to endure the back-breaking work of grubbing out stumps and rocks.

The shipwreck Zanoni is also featured at the museum, with a room dedicated to artefacts and history of the wheat clipper which capsized off Ardrossan in 1867.

The museum is open on Sundays and public holidays, or by arrangement. More information can be found by visiting the Ardrossan Visitor Information Outlet, or phone 8837 3939.

You can find out more about the history of the stump jump plough here.

 

Bublacowie-Military-MuseumBUBLACOWIE MILITARY MUSEUM

Set in two acres of native shrubs and trees and built in the grounds of the former Bublacowie school, this privately owned museum and memorial gardens contains an extensive range of military memorabilia from WW1, WW11 and the Vietnam, Korea and Gulf wars as well as other heritage items.

Vietnam / Malay veteran Chris Soar BM built the museum to keep alive the memories of the sacrifices made by so many, and to help the young people of today learn about our military history.

Built on the grounds of the Bublacowie School, the venue is set on two acres of native trees and shrubs, an oasis in the midst of the very rich wheat and barley growing area of Yorke Peninsula. In the museum you'll find medals, uniforms and memorabilia such as American pistols, German lugers and machine guns, armament shells of all shapes and sizes, and a ghostly World War 1 gas mask. Although the focus is on military memorabilia, the diversity of exhibits is amazing.

Bublacowie Military Museum is open Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays or by appointment, phone 0419 853 294.

 

PortVictoriaMaritimeMuseumPORT VICTORIA MARITIME MUSEUM

This museum is housed in the original general cargo shed that was brought out from England in kit form in 1877 and built by the jetty.

The museum tells the story of the windjammers and the men who sailed them to Europe via Cape Horn loaded with bagged grain from Port Victoria. The fantastic photographic displays along with the DVD documentary help to portray this trade which began in 1879 and ended with the Pamir and the Passat making their final voyage in 1949.

The stories and artefacts of ships wrecked around Wardang Island feature in wall displays around the museum. An old diving suite formerly used for jetty repairs and assessing the damage to sunken ships is a diverting part of this display.

The museum is open on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays, or by phoning 8834 2068 or 8834 2398.

More information about the maritime museum can be found here.

 

Edithburgh MuseumEDITHBURGH MUSEUM

Located in what was once the McGlew & Adams Produce Store the museum has displays depicting the early history of the area, such as the salt industry which helped make Edithburgh one of the busiest ports by the 1920s.

The original stone building includes information on the shipping and shipwrecks of the area, including the Clan Ranald which sank of Troubridge Hill in 1909. There is a memorial in the local cemetery to the crew members who were lost.

This community museum has well defined displays that trace the social, industrial and agricultural history of the area from early settlement to its decline.

Find out more about Edithburgh Museum here.

 

Stansbury-MuseumSTANSBURY MUSEUM

The building housing the museum was erected by the Government in 1878 as a school room with dwelling attached.

The history of Stansbury is told in words and photographs combined with interesting collections of clothing, gemstones, bottles, shells and dolls. The outbuildings have extensive farm and industry displays.

Items to watch out for include an oyster dredge, wallaby skin coat, wool hand shears with grooved grip and a roller mill designed and constructed by a local farmer and hired around the district.

Children can pretend to be a fireman on one of the town's original fire trucks or race in a locally made soapbox.

More information about Stansbury Museum including opening times can be found here.

 

MinlatonMuseumMINLATON MUSEUM

The Minlaton Museum is located in part of an old General Store which was built about 1889. There are many fascinating items on display that give a snapshot of the past. Experience the ingenuity of the past and how the tenacious settlers made the most of what they had to overcome the challenges they faced.

There is a display dedicated to the decorated World War One pilot Captain Harry Butler. Discover his story and learn how this local boy, fascinated by the flight of his mum's chooks, grew into a hero.

Captain Harry Butler was a World War One fighter pilot ace, who made history after the war by flying a special air mail from Adelaide to Minlaton, across Gulf St Vincent in August 1919. This was the first air mail across the sea in the Southern Hemisphere. Harry's plane, the Red Devil, is on static display in a striking building designed to resemble an aircraft hangar.

Minlaton Museum is open Tuesday to Saturday. More information on Captain Harry Butler and his Red Devil airplane can be found here.

 

MAITLAND MUSEUM

This museum is located in the form school building which was built in 1877. The stone building houses collections of relics and memorabilia along with local history and agricultural machinery. It also has a great display of Aboriginal and German heritage.

The Cereal Heritage Shed depicts the first 60 years of agriculture and how implements have evolved and improved. There is also a Power House, showing how power was generated on farms before 240 volt power was available.

Maitland Museum is open on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. 

 

WAROOKA MUSEUM

The Warooka Museum, formerly the Police Station, houses a comprehensive exhibition of items originating from the surrounding area and is open Fridays 10am to 3pm or by appointment. The museum traces the story of the early development and history of the town.

The museum is open on Fridays.

 

Visitor Information Centre

ASK THE LOCAL EXPERTS
Yorke Peninsula Information Centre
29 Main Street Minlaton South Australia
T: 1800 202 445
E: info@visityorkepeninsula.com.au

DIRECTIONS & MAP

29 Main Street Minalton South Australia

CONNECT

Facebook Instagram Facebook