Book here with a local - we know all the best spots...

 

Troubridge Island

Troubridge Island lighthouse

The second lighthouse to be built in South Australia, Troubridge Island lighthouse was completed in 1855. It is constructed of cylindrical cast iron segments shipped out from Britain and bolted together on site. It is believed to be only one of two towers of this type constructed in Australia. Despite suffering an earthquake, a fire, and the constant erosion of an island that is continually moving and reshaping, this lighthouse has survived. After the ship 'Marion' was wrecked on what is now known as Marion Reef, the Government investigated, building a lighthouse on Troubridge Island. By 1911 nineteen ships has been wrecked on this treacherous reef. The lighthouse was manned from 1856 to 1981. The island became a conservation park in 1982 when purchased for $42,000 by the State Government.

Troubridge Island Conservation Park is an ideal environment for bird enthusiasts. This fragile sand island is an important breeding area for birds and is home to a large colony of little penguins, black-faced cormorants and crested terns.  Only accessible by boat, once you've reached this peaceful island, take in its beauty by fishing or swimming along the white sandy beaches.  As the island protects nesting seabirds, the park is a prohibited area and is only accessible with a permit or with a guided tour.  Accommodation and tours can be arranged by phoning Troubridge Island Hideaway and Charter on 08 8852 6290. 

 

Althorpe Island

Althorpe-lighthouse

Costing a total of £11,000 to build, Althorpe Island's lighthouse was made out of a mixture of limestone and hard sandstone quarried from the Island. Powered by twin diesel generator sets and a 120v 1000w Tungsten Halogen lamp, it was first lit on 14th February 1879 and continued to shine for 112 years. The light was converted to operate on automatic solar power in 1991 and in 1996 the 91 hectare island, which included the 'heritage listed' cottages, jetty and Australia's only island flying fox was sold to the South Australia government and declared a conservation park. Althorpe Island is looked after by the Friends of Althorpe Island who work alongside the staff from Innes National Park to conserve the lighthouse, the keepers' cottages and local plant life. 

 

Corny Point

Corny Point lighthousesCompleted in 1882, Corny Point lighthouse is made of limestone quarried from a nearby farm. The lighthouse was built to protect fully laden, southbound windjammers that were endangered by sou-westers which could bring them in onto the reefs and shoals of Berry Bay and Daly Head. De-manned in 1920, the light continued to shine until 11th December 1942 when a Japanese invasion was feared and it was turned off for several weeks. It was converted to electricity in 1978. Entries in the lighthouse keeper's logs describe how the tower experienced two earthquakes, the first in 1882 and, a second in 1902, as well as other natural phenomenon such as seeing meteors flying past. Today the lighthouse reserve is open to the public. 

 

 

Troubridge Hill

Troubridge Hill lighthouseTroubridge Hill Lighthouse was built in 1980 to replace the Troubridge Island Lighthouse as the major coastal light in the area. Special wedge shaped clay bricks were custom made to build this unusual lighthouse. It is designed to be resistant to high winds and earthquakes, as several earthquakes occurred in the local area in the early 1900's. Measuring 32 metres high, Troubridge Hill lighthouse has a light range of 22 nautical miles and operates off mains electricity with a backup generator. The lighthouse reserve is accessible to the public.   

 

 

 

 

West Cape

West Cape lighthouse

Constructed of stainless steel and build in 1980, West Cape is a fully automated lighthouse standing 67 metres above sea level and with a range of 22 nautical miles. A forty minute cliff top walk in Innes National Park will take you to the lighthouse incorporating the 360° viewing platform with views of West Cape, Pondalowie Bay and Marion Bay Township. 

 

 

 

Cape Spencer

Cape Spencer lighthouse

The lighthouse is located in Innes National Park, and an easy thirty minute walk takes you to the tower itself with a magnificent view overlooking Althorpe Island. On a clear day the view is all the way across to Kangaroo Island. An automatic beacon was commissioned in 1950, with a major upgrade taking place in 1970 to the concrete structure that you see today.

 

Visitor Information Centre

ASK THE LOCAL EXPERTS
Yorke Peninsula Information Centre
29 Main Street Minlaton South Australia
T: 1800 202 445
E: info@visityorkepeninsula.com.au

DIRECTIONS & MAP

29 Main Street Minalton South Australia

CONNECT

Facebook Instagram Facebook