Book here with a local - we know all the best spots...

227 kms from Adelaide

Perched on a cliff top on the south eastern tip of Yorke Peninsula, Edithburgh is a popular tourist and fishing town offering the visitor a diverse range of activities. The town occupies a commanding position on the coastline at semi-circular Salt Creek Bay, and is noted for its magnificent seascapes which include steep rocky cliffs and sandy beaches. The town originally developed as a port for servicing the pastoralist pioneers and was named by Governor Sir James Fergusson after his wife Edith.  With nearly 200 hundred salt lakes in the Edithburgh area, the town was once a major salt provider to South Australia. Before the establishment of the salt industry at Edithburgh in 1891, many of the lakes were harvested by the local farming community. The Edithburgh salt refinery closed its doors in the early 1960s.

MosaicsTrail

Take the time to follow the fabulous mosaic trail to Sultana Point which is lined with more than 40 nautical themed mosaic rock art works, and forms part of the Walk the Yorke Trail.  Troubridge Island with its distinctive red and white lighthouse can be seen offshore.

Today, Edithburgh is known as a fishing mecca. The area is very popular with scuba divers and underwater photographers, with a variety of fish and corals to be found, such as the rare leafy sea dragon and big bellied seahorses.

Take a drive down arund Troubridge Hill for great scenic clifftop views.  Visit the Troubridge Hill lighthouse, made from special wedge shaped clay bricks, built to replace the Troubridge Island lighthouse.  On a clear day you can see Kangaroo Island across the water. 

Edithburgh visitor information outlet can provide information on the local area, as well as maps and brochures. It is located in the BP service station, Blanche Street.  Scuba refills can also be made here.

Edithburgh Tidal Pool 

Edithburgh Tidal PoolFor those who enjoy unusual experiences, the town has a unique seawater swimming pool constructed at the shoreline. Its sheltered waters are refreshed with each rising tide. Originally the tidal pool was on the southern side of the jetty to cater for the ladies as there was no mixed bathing in the 1880's. As time went by they decided to build another pool for the men, which is where the pool is today. The jetty was once South Australia's third busiest port so very often no one was able to swim there; the pool provided a safe alternative.

A 'work for the dole' project in the 1930's saw the cliff face terraced. Not long after the local swimming club decided to build a safe pool for the local children. Beginning as a collection of strategically placed rocks below the pavilion it has developed into the well planned concrete terraces we have today maintained by the local Progress Association.

The Clan Ranald

Today modern craft and equipment make the seas off Edithburgh a safe and exciting environment for divers, but the ocean hasn't always been as friendly. One notable wreck was the Clan Ranald of 2,258 tons which, fully loaded with bagged wheat and flour destined for London, was wrecked off Troubridge Hill and sank on the night of 31 January 1909 with the loss of 40 men.   It remains one of South Australia's most tragic shipwrecks.  Learn more at the Edithburgh National Trust Museum, and see the anchor of the Clan Ranald in the main street.

A stroll through the local cemetery testifies to the trials and hardships that beset early pioneers and the mariners who settled and worked this part of the coast.

Wattle Point Wind Farm

WattlePointWindFarmLocated near Edithburgh, the wind farm is a fantastic sight, with 55 turbines spread out in rows on the flat ground.  While it is well worth the drive to see these huge turbines close up, on a clear day they can be seen, spreading across the horizon, from as far away as Warooka.  These gigantic turbines stand 67 metres high; each blade measures 40 metres in length, making the total height from tip to ground, 110 metres. The turbines are spread over an area of 11.5 km (1150 ha). Each turbine has three blades.

Officially opened on 16th June 2005 by the Hon. Mike Rann MP, Premier of South Australia, the wind farm was one of the largest in South Australia.  The turbines generate 91 MW of clean, green, renewable energy when at full power. Allowing for the time when there is too much or too little wind, the Wattle Point Wind Farm generates approximately 312,000 MWh (or 2% of SA electricity per year). This is enough to supply 52,000 homes.

Wind power has the advantage over other traditional methods of energy generation in that there are no greenhouse gases or other air pollution. The rhythmic turning of the turbines begins to generate electricity in a light breeze (9 kmh) and reach full production in strong winds of around 47 kmh. Although blade tip speed can reach 222 kmh, to avoid damage in gale force winds the turbines are automatically shut down and turned for minimum wind resistance. This is why the wind turbines are sometimes not turning on an extremely windy day.

A free viewing area is located on Sheoak Beach Road, 3 km south-west of Edithburgh, where you can view the wind farm close up.

Troubridge Island

TroubridgeIsland-lighthouseTroubridge Island Conservation Park is an ideal environment for bird enthusiasts. This fragile sand island is an important breeding area for birds and is home to a large colony of little penguins, black-faced cormorants and crested terns. Access to the park is by permit only.

Hide away for a few nights in the original lighthouse keeper's cottage. The heritage-listed cottage accommodation has all the modern conveniences you need for an idyllic escape from city life. Only accessible by boat, once you've reached this peaceful island, take in its beauty by fishing or swimming along the white sandy beaches. As the island protects nesting seabirds, the park is a prohibited area and is only accessible with a permit or with a guided tour.

Troubridge Lighthouse was the second lighthouse to be built in South Australia. It was prepared in England and shipped in pieces to Australia and was manned from 1856 to 1981. The island became a conservation park in 1982 when purchased by the State Government.

Information on accommodation and tours is available from Troubridge Island Hideaway and Charter - phone 8852 6290.

 

           

 

Visitor Information Centre

ASK THE LOCAL EXPERTS
Yorke Peninsula Information Centre
29 Main Street Minlaton South Australia
T: 1800 202 445
E: info@visityorkepeninsula.com.au

DIRECTIONS & MAP

29 Main Street Minalton South Australia

CONNECT

Facebook Instagram Facebook