Book here with a local - we know all the best spots...

155 kms from Adelaide

ArthurtonArthurton is a small country town in the centre of the Yorke Peninsula. The settlement, surveyed in 1876, was originally known as Kalkabury. However in 1877 the Governor, Sir Arthur Musgrave, renamed the town Arthurton after his infant son.

The town developed in the twilight of the 19th century and buildings such as the original council chambers, which are now used as community meeting rooms, and the Uniting and the Catholic churches, are all centenarians.

The hills in this area are the highest point of the Peninsula, being 273.41 metres above sea level. Arthurton has a shop, barbecue area, playground, town hall and a hotel for meals and refreshments. There is also an overnight parking area for self-contained vehicles.

Arthurton, an inland town, services farmers working some of Australia's richest soils. Nevertheless it is only a half-hour drive from good fishing spots such as Balgowan and Port Victoria on the Spencer Gulf and Port Clinton and Price on the eastern shores of Gulf St Vincent.

It was just north of the town of Arthurton that the Smith brothers designed and built their prototype of the stump jump plough. This agricultural gadget revolutionised the cultivation of land that contained tree stumps and large stones, as the appliance could 'jump' over such obstacles.

 

Visitor Information Centre

ASK THE LOCAL EXPERTS
Yorke Peninsula Information Centre
29 Main Street Minlaton South Australia
T: 1800 202 445
E: info@visityorkepeninsula.com.au

DIRECTIONS & MAP

29 Main Street Minalton South Australia

CONNECT

Facebook Instagram Facebook